Snake River and South Fork Flow Update:
There have been many questions and phone calls lately about what is going on with flows on the Snake River near Jackson Hole and the South Fork of the Snake. Please see the information from the Bureau of Reclamation. We will update every on our Live Jackson Hole Weekend Fly Fishing Forecast on Friday March 17th at 1pm.
– Increase to 16,000 cfs likely on Monday 3/20.
– Increased discharges from Jackson Lake starting today and Friday this week will bring increased discharges at Palisades early next week as high as 16,000 We are currently releasing 13,000 cfs at Palisades Dam.
Jackson Lake Dam
– We increased discharge this morning at 1000 hrs to 2,500 cfs. Friday (3/17) we will increase discharge to 3,000 cfs at 0900
– We are less than two weeks away from intersecting our flood curves and need to increase now to avoid steeper increases later.
Island Park Dam
– No increases planned.
– Outflows could increase slightly beginning early Island Park Reservoir is approximately 78% full.
American Falls Dam
– We increased discharge this morning at 1000 hrs to 20,000
– We will stay at the 20,000 cfs discharge level for the next few weeks until we get to the first few weeks of April when we will likely back off the high If we see earlier than expected snowpack melt out in April we will keep the high flows. However if we see just normal warming trends and minor early snowpack melt out we will reduce flows in early April and likely see a minimum spring storage volume in American Falls reservoir in the range of 1,200,000 acre-feet to 1,300,000 acre-feet. The total storage capacity of American Falls reservoir is 1,672,590 acre-feet. This would leave American Falls reservoir in the range of approximately 75% full going into the spring melt out season.
Feel free to email us or call our Fly Shop at 800.654.0676 with any questions you may have.